Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Only 1 year left :(

"Elder Quentin L. Cook speaks to 970 missionaries from missions in Guatemala City."

Alexis is the head looking up behind the girl with the pink sweater on the first row.

Here is a link to the article in the church news about his visit to Central America
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/64386/Central-America-Hastening-the-work-of-salvation.html

I have officially completed 6 months...WHAT!?

I bought new shoes yesterday from the paca (aka thrift store...aka only stores here).  They're really cute! Actually, I know that they're not cute in real life.  But as far as missionary shoes go, they're cute!  They were only ten bucks.  The pacas are funny.  The worker at first handed me a pair of the exact same shoes same size and condition and everything.  Then I looked over and saw the ones I bought.  They are EXACTLY the same, but the ones I bought are half price.  These are my third pair of shoes on the mission so far.  Hopefully they last!  It's nice because they're already broken in and ready to go!  I'm excited.  I need a change of tan line  (tan line or dirt line...we'll find out in a year.)

Yesterday I saw a bus with a Guatemala license plate AND a Utah license plate.  It was yet another moment where I had to do a double take.  My thoughts were 'Oh cool!  They're from Utah....Wait a second I'm in Guatemala and that license plate is RIGHT next to the Guatemala license plate on a huge decked out Guatemalan bus.' I love it!

We have our own pila at our house so we wash most of our clothes by hand just because its faster than sending it to be washed.  I really like it actually.  Its relaxing.  It takes me about an hour to do all of my laundry.  I want a pila in my future house.  They're handy!

There's a rule in our mission that we have to go to seminary and institute with the recent converts for their first time.  So last week we got up at 4:30 to get to 5 am seminary.  It was so awesome!  Hna V wasn't so pumped but I loved it!  Never in my life did I think I'd be going to seminary at 5 am in Guatemala! Luckily my brain was awake enough to understand the Spanish.  We have another that's going this week, so we'll be up bright and early again!  Woo!

To get the members more excited about helping us, we started a competicion in the ward.  All of February we're going to see who can help us the most with visiting investigators, bring people to church, giving out Books of Mormon, etc.  We give out prizes every week.  The prize this week was 'a North American dessert'...Rice Krispie Treats.  Super exotic.  We were in Relief Society and I was presenting the prize to the winner of week 1.  Everyone kinda looked at me like 'Oh great.  The gringa tried to cook. That's sweet.'  But then they tried it and were freaking out!  'QUE RICO! These are so good!  How'd you make it?  You had to use caramel didn't you? How do you get it like that'  Uh...No.  I made it this morning in the microwave.  Welcome to cooking from the states 101.

We are so blessed to have such great investigators right now.  We'll have 2 baptisms Sunday of really pilas people!  They're cousins.  Our last visit with one of them, she straight up asked us when she could get baptized.  She knows all of the interview questions.  She's amazing!  We also had a third visit with her super pilas cousin Thursday and she started off by telling us that she knew everything was true and how she was telling people that she knew she was in the only true church.  At the end of the lesson she basically challenged herself to be baptized. It's seriously such a blessing to get to meet such amazing people!  I love it!  Those little moments of seeing people change are so worth all the rough patches.

Love you all!  Thanks for everything!


     Alexis' desk in her apartment

New Shoes

                                             

 The pila where Alexis' washes her clothes