Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I checked eating zampopos de mayo off my bucket list this week!

This week was kinda rough, but also really good.  Hna W always keeps me happy, even when we're falling behind in our goals.  I'm so grateful for that!

I checked eating zampopos de mayo off my bucket list this week!!  It was so exciting!  I think I had told you guys about how there are these giant ants with wings that are only here in may called zanpopos de mayo (turns out they're here for longer than just May, but then they turn into zanpopos de junio, as a little girl from the primary so kindly explained to us).  They had told us that you can eat them and they're super good.  So, on Friday we went to a members house for lunch and their daughter had found a TON.  They taught us how to make them and we tried them on tortillas with salt and lime.  Oh my gosh.  It was so good!!!  It tasted like chicarron or maybe burnt popcorn (which sounds gross.  but it wasn't gross.  that's just the closest thing I can think of that it tastes like.)  I'm definitely going to have to do send a 'How To' on this one.  It was hands down the weirdest thing I've ever eaten but it was delicious.  I ate bugs and I liked it.  I'm not even ashamed.

Speaking of trying weird foods...yesterday I found a new favorite food...curry!  Hna W's parents sent her some and she made it for us yesterday.  It's so good!  We decided to turn it into curry chapin style.  So we bought some tortillas at the end of the night and put curry on our tortillas.  It was SO good!  Just funny that I had to come all the way to Guatemala to try curry that was bought in an American grocery store.  We'll have to try zanpopos de mayo with curry.

Yesterday I almost felt like it was snowing, which was so weird!  A storm came in and it was cold (and by cold I mean like normal spring weather in Colorado.  I'm going to die coming home in February.) and rainy.  And it was Pday so we just took it easy for a while.  It felt like it was a snow day or something.  It made me happy!  It was just hard for my brain to accept the fact that it was cold, like at home, but I was still in Guatemala.

There're one street in our area that is just so PILAS!  It's crazy.  Everyone we teach on that street progresses and gets baptized.  And since there are more members, they have more and more support.  It's so cool!  We decided that there's only one explanation.  We're really pretty sure that the Anti Nefi Lehits must have buried their weapons there.  That's just what makes most sense.

I have a surprisingly long time left before I have to get off the internet.  So I'm trying to think of what to say.  I'm not used to not panicking while I write my big letter home.

Yesterday someone asked me where I was from and I asked him what he thought and he said Russia.  So that was kinda funny.

We also have a question.  So here, people salute each other by kissing each other on the cheek.  But what do we do in the states to greet each other?  Hna Wises first guess was bow, but that cant be right.

The world cup starts soon.  I don't know if it's like this in the states, but here there are World Cup promotions for EVERYTHING...phone companies, candy companies, ice cream shops, McDonalds (oo.. sad news.  coco chocolate McFlurries aren't sold at McDonalds anymore.  We'll have to get more creative with our racism strike.).  I'm sure that it will get super crazy here.  It will be a miracle to get lessons in I'm sure.

This last week we saw a huge miracle.  So in March, a little girl got baptized that I was teaching.  Her mom wasn't ready to get baptized then, and that always worried me because I didn't want it to be hard for her to get to church since she's the only member.  Her mom slowly stopped wanting to listen to us and I had always felt really uneasy about it.  But last Sunday the mom came to church!  And when we taught her she accepted to be baptized!!  It was such a miracle.  It really helped me see that Heavenly Father has a reason for everything.  I didn't feel comfortable just baptizing the little girl, but it obviously had to happen so we could keep in touch with that family.  Its so amazing to see how the mom has changed and is ready to receive these blessings.  I'm thankful that Heavenly Father knows better than we do and always helps us have good, lasting fruits of ourlabors.

Thank you for all your love and emails and packages!  Its fun to hear from everyone.

Love you!