Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Not An April Fools Joke!

All this week I was trying to think of something witty to send you guys on April Fools.  Something about me having dengue, or getting sent to another mission, or baptized 12 people last weekend.  But it's been a crazy enough day that I don't have to make anything up.  Today's been quite a day, but none of it has been a joke.

So Sunday Hna C said she got bit by something.  And from there her foot kept getting more and more swollen.  We had talked with the mission nurse and we couldn't figure anything out to help her.  This morning Hna C woke up and her foot was huge!  SO big and red.  And she said she couldn't feel anything up to her hip.  So we rushed to the hospital.  I didn't have time to bathe or read my scriptures or eat breakfast or anything.  So we go to the hospital and it turns out she has a really bad infection that somehow got triggered Sunday.  She has to be in the hospital a few days.  She won't be able to finish her mini mission, which is so sad!  Yesterday she was really scared that she'd get sent home, but she cant walk so its better that way.  Poor thing!  Its especially sad because we had become really good friends.  Things were rough at first but it was so sad to say goodbye!  The Senior missionaries came and got me from the hospital and took me to a members house in the ward until I could find another companion.  When I saw the mom of the family I just hugged her and bawled.  It had been such a stressful morning and being without a companion is scary.  I just needed a hug from a mom even if it wasn't my own mom.  But its nice to know I have people to take care of me all over the world.

My new companion is Hermana Valenzuela!  She is an 18 year old from our ward here.  She is also a mini missionary, as of 2 hours ago!  She called her mom and asked 'Hey can I be Hna Haymonds companion until April 16th.'  Her mom said yes and now she's a missionary! I'm excited!  She's very cute and really excited.  She's sitting next to me reading Preach My Gospel as we speak.   Woo!  It will be a good adventure.  Hopefully Hna Cucinatii gets better soon enough to go on her own mission.

Before I forget...SHOUT OUT TO CHASE WHO GOT HIS MISSION CALL TO WASHINGTON!!! AHHH!!!!!!!!  I'm way excited for you.  And shout out to Grandma Suzie who's 40th birthday is today!  (April Fools!  I think she's actually turning 25.  :)   )
This week was rough.  The people who were going to get baptized this weekend aren't quite ready yet, and we didn't reach our goal of 400.  But we saw so many miracles and we have to be thankful for all the success that Heavenly Father has given us.  Its just hard not to look back and wonder what I could have done better.
I'm always having funny experiences with English.  The other day we were in a lesson with 2 younger guys and we asked if we could help them with anything.  One asked me if I knew English (I always tell them no just because I think its funny.  Of course I know English.  I have a terrible accent and I'm the only canchita here.).  He told me he had one of those bears that talks when you squeeze its hand and he wanted me to translate what it said.  He thought it said bad things and wanted to get rid of it if it did.  So I nervously agreed, because they were convinced that it said bad things.  He brought out a normal teddy bear.  It started talking about Teddy Roosevelt and how the teddy bear had been invented.  It was a 100 anniversary teddy bear.  I just started laughing and tried to explain that it talks about presidents from the US.  I never thought I'd be asked to translate the history of where Teddy Bears come from. 

Sunday we had the 3rd hour of church with all the adults.  Everyone was all excited because that doesn't happen very often.  We all wondered what we'd be talking about.  Turns out we spent a good hour and a half talking about how to clean the church.  We watched a bunch of videos with not so great acting about how important it is to clean the chapel.  There was a lot of heated conversation about how everyone needs to be responsible and clean up after themselves.  I just laughed to myself.  I totally felt like I was in one of our Family Home Evenings where we learn how to keep the toilet clean or how to pull weeds or how to caulk the bath tub.  Good times.

I'm glad I get to write home today.  It's been really crazy.  But I will never forget my April Fools in Guatemala.

Thanks so much for all the prayers!

Love you all!
Hna Haymond



There is no such thing as a good pictures of me anymore.  I look so gross today.  There was no time to get ready.  but I was also there supporting my comp.  She really was happy at this point.  She looks more miserable than she was.  Oh! I forgot to tell you the best part of my day.  I got to eat lunch in the hospital because I was the person who accompanied hna c.  and it was sooo good!  There was chocolate cherry cake and steak and really good baked potatoes and sweet potatoes..  Holy cow.  I almost died.